It’s that time of year again, and this year your child may experience some back-to-school anxiety, which is very normal. Parents need to be understanding as there are many unknowns for what causes this anxiety.
Many kids may feel anxious about going back to school after they just had a nice summer break. Some kids may feel nervous about starting school for the first time. Whatever the reason may be, parents can help ease the transition to back to school by talking with their kids and following some of these tips.
1. Help your child feel more comfortable about their school environment. Call the school and ask if they can arrange a visit to the school before the first day. They may possibly be able to meet their teacher as well.
2. If you’re able to get into the classroom discus the basics with them. Show them where they will hang up their coat, where their desk is, where they’ll go to the bathroom and eat lunch. If your child sees these things before the first day of school they will become more familiar with their environment and this may help to relieve some of their first day anxiety.
3. A week or two before school starts take a couple trips to and from school. Discuss the routine of getting to and from school, whether you drop them off or pick them up, or if they’ll be taking the school bus.
4. Talk about things that make school fun and exiciting! Let them go with you to pick out their school supplies, a new backpack and new school clothes. Assure your child that there will be lots of new kids and friends to make. You can also talk about fun things such as what they can look forward to such as: playing on the playground with lots of new friends, making art projects, participating in sports or playing a new instrument.
5. Read a book about about the first day of school or even make one with your child on things you find important for your child to know and what they might be most nervous about.
Make sure your kids are getting plenty of sleep and eating a healthy diet. Studies show that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Get something in them that is good before a big day of school is very important. Remember to keep positive when talking about school. As a parent, back to school can be hectic for you as well. Remember for yourself to eat well, exercise and get plenty of sleep.
For more information on easing your child’s back-to-school anxiety please visit us at our FACEBOOK page!