PIC families always seem to be on the go from picking up kids at school, going to different activities, helping with homework, meetings, running errands and the list just goes on and on. But when is there time to eat a healthy snack? These snacks take no time at all and are better than feeding your kids empty calories, like candy or going through a drive through restaurant. Although buying snacks in packs may be easier, it’s not always the healthiest option. Here are some suggestions for all you families on the go…
1. Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwich or a meat sandwich on whole wheat bread with cucumber slices.
2. Pretzels- Bag up a few to keep their salt intake down
3. Yogurt..you can even put yogurt into the freezer to make frozen yogurt or yogurt pops. Add granola for an extra crunch!
4. String Cheese- add some crackers to the mix
5. Veggies (Snap peas, Carrots, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber, Celery with peanut butter on it…)
6. Cut up fruit (Apples, Grapes, Strawberries, Peaches, watermelon, melon, bananas..)
7. Granola bars or fruit bars (You can also make a batch of fruit muffins and freeze them for when you need them. This is a healthier option than the store bought ones with all the extra ingredients.)
9. Make your own trail mix with dried fruit and whole grain cereal. Add nuts or sunflower seeds for healthy fats and protein.
10. Salad (Bag pre-washed romaine lettuce or spinach with some of your favorite things in it like cherry tomatoes, carrots, sun flower seeds, cucumber, add your favorite dressing in a separate container, to keep the salad fresh!) Don’t forget the fork : )
11. Whole-Wheat bagel with some peanut butter
12. Whole Grain Cereal either with milk or dry in a baggie.
Check us out on our Facebook site!
Picture courtesy of Parents.com